Monday 23 August 2010

Product test: Aquapac PDA Case


With the launch of my brand new podcast just over a week away, my thoughts have turned to all things audio of late - not least of all the considerations I have to bear in mind when I'm out and about recording content.

A while back, I reviewed the Aquapac PDA case, which took the form of a video and write-up on the GBP:Blog. You may remember it. Well, that video and post has been so well received, and subsequently pushed around the social media world so much, that I thought I'd make mention of it one more time.

Look out for more of the same from me soon, as I am now working directly with Aquapac and a number of other companies offering a range of great products which make our lives that much nicer.

---

One of the latest additions to my kit bag is an audio recorder, which I've begun using to produce interviews, location reports, video commentary etc for the GBP Blog. And so far, I can't fault it ('initial impression' review coming up soon). That is, except for one thing.

This technology is all well and good, but there comes a time when it needs a little helping hand in more extreme environments. Put simply, the audio recorder doesn't like the rain. Suffice it to say this is an assumption and I don't wish to test the theory - but for piece of mind, I set out to find some decent protection for the thing.

Enter Aquapac, who produce all manner of dependable covers and cases. I have been aware of these guys for many years, and took the opportunity to catch up with them earlier in the year at the Ordnance Survey Outdoors Show. Jump forward a few months and they suggested the 100% waterproof PDA Case for my particular requirements.

Rather than waffle on here too much, I've put together the following short video so you can see and hear the test for yourself:





Several details are not mentioned in the video, as I wanted to keep it fairly brief, but for your reference:
  • This case will float in water, and is submersible to 15ft (5 metres)
  • It has an optically-clear rear panel, good enough to shoot photos/video through
  • You can use your PDA stylus as normal right through the case
  • A stylus holder is built-in
  • The product model reference/number is Small PDA Classic (344)
  • You can also check out more more from Aquapac on their Facebook page

If you have any thoughts or comments, feel free to jot them in the comments section.

No comments: