Monday 28 July 2008

Inspirational Update


Today, a very quick follow-up to this post, in which I was talking about inspiration and motivation.

Strangely enough, it was on a train journey travelling up country to a shoot recently that I came across an article in the free onboard magazine. The feature which caught my eye was Aileen Scoular's interview with Peter Gabriel. In it, Gabriel considers the way in which train travel can generate inspiration - He says, "I have an unsubstantiated theory that artists and creative people take train journeys because that's where they get their best ideas."

He puts this down to 'peripheral vision stimulation'.

Personally, I like taking the train because
  • It means I don't have the concentration involved in driving (I therefore arrive at a shoot as fresh as possible),
  • Such journeys allow me to catch up on editorial and blog projects without distraction,
  • The train is always like a new and neutral location for me, which I find helps generate those creative thoughts.

But, of course, everyone is individual - we all have our own methods. It's just a case of finding what works best for you.

No comments: